Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Letter 05-20-2014

Weeks come and go so fast........ especially when you have an awesome companion, an amazing area, and are making so many new friends. (That's one of my favorite things about this Utah mission - the areas are so small you get to know and love everyone everywhere! It also means you run into that anti that yelled at you once at least ten more times... their fault it's so awkward haha)

Still are struggling to find someone to baptize in the next few weeks, but we have run into a slew of people that are really close. We're running into a ton of homes where there isn't an adult male but they want us to come in. You'd be surprised how hard it is, even in Utah, to find someone who's available to come to lessons so that we can get in the home. Can't imagine what it's like elsewhere.

Continuing to work my heart out to baptize twice this last transfer...
--Elder Chandler
----------------------
thought: "got him out"

Ever since I took old testament in seminary, brother barney's story of Joseph and Potiphar's wife has stayed with me. I don't know how many time's I repeated the phrase "he got him out" while memorizing scripture mastery that year.

But in any case I've been thinking about the phrase a lot this last week in relation to temptation (trunkiness) in general. True, sometimes you need to physically run, get yourself out, of a situation, but oftentimes temptation creeps into minds and emotions. In these cases I find it nice to mentally "got me out" of things - a literal mental picture of me running away from whatever thing might be crossing my mind (disobedience to mission rules, thoughts of home). It helps me anyways to stay focused on what I need to, because one of the greatest things I've learned on my mission is just how powerful the brain can be. Whatever I focus on, I can succeed at (its a function of the amount of time I spend thinking about something - the more I think the more I can do it). Brains are amazing! What a great connector between our bodies, our spirits, and The Spirit!

bonus: my doodle from this week lol. classic kipz.


No comments:

Post a Comment