Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Letter 10-08-2013

General Conference always makes for a really great week! We watched it at a lot of different recent converts houses - we had nonmembers lined up to go to all of them as well, but they all fell through. Hopefully we'll catch them again some other time. Still, the talks were great. I really liked Brother Dube's talk on looking forward and not back. Elder Bednar's was also very insightful. I love how the church runs financially (as opposed to another large bureaucracy, I hear...). It's so simple. Elder Uchtdorf gave a great talk during the priesthood session... and the list goes on.
 
Chris is still shooting for October 26th and is great. His parents are getting a little uneasy, but they're active so we're going to have them pray like we have and get the same spiritual confirmation.
 
We played golf this morning and did dodgeball right afterwards. There's a picture so you can tell me how bad my golf swing is, how bent my wrists are, etc.
 
-Elder Chandler
------------------------
thought: Elder Uchtdorf
 
I think he's a master at getting people to shift the way they "see" things. His talk in priesthood session was a great example, but his talk on Saturday was great also. Some of the things in his kit:
1) pithy, quotable phrases
2) positive/negative statements
3) the phrase (roughly), "see it this way"
4) He speaks your point of view first so you know he understands the situation, and -then- explains his point of view

I want to apply some of this in teaching so I can get investigators to have the paradigm shifts that Elder Uchtdorf has all of us loving his talks!

No comments:

Post a Comment