Happy New Years!
There's still a bunch of festive snow on the ground. Probably is going to
stick for quite some time, because it's staying so cold around here. (compared
to last year, at least. We were still playing frisbee on Heritage Hill much
later into the season than this...) (also so cold isn't really that bad - only
gets to the teens generally but is still a little chilly).
Found a camera cord so I'll send a couple pictures this time around:
1) Court of Honor for a couple boys in my area that we attended. Got a
couple nonmembers to get there, as well as a less active/returning member. It's
really fun to get to stand in the eagle's nest for that short time. Thanks
mother.
2) It's pretty cold
I don't know how much memory emails hold so I'll leave it at that.
We had our baptismal interview with Bryson, Alison, and Katie on Saturday.
They're all prepped and ready for the 12th of January! Such an exciting time in
their lives.
On Sunday there was the most massively attended sacrament meeting I've ever
seen. Two apparently (very) popular kids from the high school both had their
farewells. The attendance rivaled stake conference, not even joking. Got to
re-see a lot of the people from my old area that I had to leave in the blink of
an eye and gave them my contact info. (That probably means I have a couple
pending friend requests on facebook so, mom, if you'd like you can go through
and just add all the people that request me, if they're from Utah. Especially
the Murray area.) Two great talks from great new elders going to serve in
Ukraine (not Kiev, Kelson) and Mexico.
Oh yeah. I told my parents but I'm serving in David Archuleta's home stake.
His dad lives 4 or 5 doors down from me. For all of you Utah-people that know
who he is.
Maybe it's important to know that transfer calls were yesterday. Elder
Fussell and I are staying here for another six weeks (bar another emergency, ha.
I'm hesitant to say that after what happened last transfer). I really love this
area. Hope I never leave Murray.
Have a great week,
Elder Chandler
------------------------------
thought: truth of the book of mormon
As a mission we had the opportunity for the last four months to read the
Book of Mormon while underlining every mention of Jesus Christ. We finished
yesterday. It struck me that this is actually the first time I've read the Book
of Mormon cover to cover chronologically with a real system of reading. Kind of
sad actually. Don't make it that way! I get so many complements on how well I
know the scriptures that it really is embarassing to have this be pretty much
the first time I've read it. I guess that attests to the greatness of the
seminary program and Book of Mormon classes at the Y. But how many nuggets there
are in Helaman, Mormon, Ether, and Moroni!
I guess I could have done my spiritual thought on Ether (I'm memorizing a
scripture or couple scriptures each day to try and keep my memory running and in
check), but I'll just leave it at this most important one. Read the Book of
Mormon, ponder in your hearts the message it contains, and then ask God, the
Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if it is true. If you pray in faith, with
real intent, you WILL gain a testimony of it's truthfulness and divinity by the
power of the Holy Ghost. It's that simple. Everything else stems from it. It
works.
If you will to gain a testimony, you will gain a testimony.
That principle applies to anything in the spiritual realm. If you will to
do, you will. It's almost cliche. But its true, true doctrine even at a secular
level.
Have a happy new year. Make a goal to help someone be baptized this coming
year. My goal is to baptize bi-weekly for the rest of this year. That means that
if all six Chandler boys help one person each to get to the water this year,
than I'll bring four people in for each of those. So as a family we could help
baptize and confirm 30 people this year. That would be so cool.
--Elder Ryan Chandler


No comments:
Post a Comment