Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Letter 10-22-2012

Dear everyone!

I heard through the grapevine that Amy got in a car crash. She's fine but the neon isn't, right? :(

This has been a pretty eventful week. It started a bit slow but things picked up immensely by the end of the week! I love this work.

Last week at church was pretty busy - a nine-year-old girl came with her grandma and has interest in meeting with us. She was at church again this last Sunday, so we're hoping to set up lessons really soon! (as soon as the parents give their permission) There was also a 19 year old who has tried to take the discussions before but his mom shot him down. Now he's over 18 and set on getting baptized. We're just waiting for a time to be able to set up a time with him and we'll be set. He also was at church this week.

We also have been following up fairly regularly with a great active member family in our area, the Chamberlains. They're a hoot to be around. The dad actually gave me the sketchbook I've been doing a bit of work in during down time before bed. Their oldest daughter, Alyssa, has a good friend that she invited to read the Book of Mormon. He got through 1 Nephi and agreed to meet with us. I think he was a bit scared at first but he realized really soon that we're not that scary. Maybe it's that I laugh a lot. In any case we had a great lesson and put him on baptism date for the 17th of November. He's awesome. We're hoping to get a lot of ward fellowship in the big group of priests in his ward that occupy quite a few different high points on that high-school social ladder of things. I can't wait to see him get baptized.

We also had zone conference this week. It was all about the Book of Mormon. It really solidifies my love for the Book of Mormon and the stories inside. I love sharing with investigators the personality of the prophets in the BoM, the ideas on Christ it gives, the idea that it's a book written 3000 to 1400 years ago for our day. I feast on it a lot now, yum.

Other than that we just keep on trudging. I don't think it's really trudging though. More like trucking. Soon we'll be speeding I think.

--Elder Chandler

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thought: Heavenly Father

I just thought this idea in Hebrews 12 was cool so I'll share:

"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye @#!*% , and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?"

I just really like the idea of planes in the gospel. Certain things just aren't passable without unseen changes that we don't know of. Spirit prison and paradise. Three kingdoms. I picture it like a graph that looks like an upside down L but with the edge curved. The graph shoots up real fast, but then it hits an asymptote which it can not pass ever in infinity Yet God deals with inifinites like finites. He gives a little "push" that puts us on a whole new plane, graph, on which we can again shoot up and grow. God's ways aren't our ways. Even so, because of the perfect plan and test he has set up for us here, we get glimpses of eternal principles through our finite lives.

Fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment