
He was in a hurry to get going!Other families were hugging and kissing and photo-ing on the beautiful Provo Temple grounds and in the mature pines of 9th East. A sweet older "Elder" had welcomed us to the parking lot across from the MTC to do that, too. I had it in my mind that I wanted a photo of each of the six younger boys (mine plus two cousins) with this handsome, faithful missionary. But, Ryan was ready to go. He denied being nervous, but he was quiet and had seemed tense all morning. He told me "no more pictures, not even one more and requested that we drive straight into the drop-off line. It seemed really quickly final, but I know this kid-- goodbyes are tough, he speaks love differently than touch and sentimental moments, and when he is facing something new it makes him nervous. He was trying to dive in, this was his process, and I felt to respect that.
As we drove down the welcome at the MTC, the most handsome, happy string of young adult men in ties waited to latch onto one of these new missionaries. Ryan giggled. Seeing them pleased him. I choked in my throat as said outloud, "This is soooo cool." He giggled more. I pulled over at number 29, Ryan jumped out and this burly, strong, athletic Elder with a great, big smile yelled out, "Hello, Elder!" and ran to Ryan's assistance. "No, let me take that." "Take your time." "Oh, I got it." And he strapped Ryan's backpack to his pack and rolled away both suitcases. Ryan, with stick, straight, soldier form, patted me on the back once, told the boys "bye", and was off. For a second, I wondered if there ought to be more, but then...... It seemed to me that I saw all of the nervousness fade-- walking next to this "host" Elder, Ryan straightened up with confidence, he smiled, and knew his destiny.
I couldn't resist yelling back, "Ryan, turn around and wave!" I snapped this picture, and he was off through the sea of dark suits and ties. I am unbelievably proud of this kid. So proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment